Accessible Page Links

Page Tools

Main page Content

Guidance officers


Guidance officers are highly trained personnel in Education Queensland who are registered teachers with specialised training in personal, educational and careers counselling. Some guidance officers are also registered psychologists. They work within a team with a range of government and non-government support staff, e.g. School Nurse, YSC (Wesley Mission), Ohana, chaplains and a network of other professionals that visit the school including CYMHS, private psychologists, disability support networks, TAFE and universities. Appointments can be made through the administration office.


Guidance counselling is confidential, unless they are asked by the student to pass on information or if the student or someone else is in danger. Guidance officers are trained to carry out:

  • Confidential counselling for careers, personal and vocational issues

  • Conflict resolution and mediation

  • Meetings with teachers, parents and other professionals to arrange support for students

  • Management of critical incidents and emergencies

  • Referrals to external agencies for extra support

To find out more information regarding support and available  resources see the Guidance referral pathways (PDF, 499kb)


Mental Health and Wellbeing @ HSHS

At Helensvale SHS we value each student and recognise that each individual student at any given time may have varying mental health issues and levels of resilience. The Vale way encompasses leadership of and, structured opportunities to develop resilience and maintain good health and wellbeing for all students and staff. Helensvale SHS conforms to Education Queensland policies and Best Practice

- The learning and wellbeing framework for all Queensland State Schools

This page includes how you can access a mental health practitioner/ or Psychologist/ external agency support, advice

How to access a wellbeing health practitioner

You can privately choose a practitioner of choice

Psychologist: cognitive testing, diagnosis, and counselling support
  • Psychiatrist: Diagnosis, intervention, ability to offer a pharmaceutical approach
  • Physiologist: Exercise and Health
  • Nutritionist: Allergies, healthy eating plans, and weight management
  • Or you can visit your doctor and request a ‘Health Care Plan’ and referral to a Health Care Specialist including a Psychiatrist or Psychologist. Through Medicare you may have to pay a fee upfront, or a top of fee however,  some  practitioners  will bulk bill. Check with the Doctor and the practitioner


Mental Health Treatment Plan (Medicare and Psychology)


External wellbeing support agencies

Headspace is the national youth mental health foundation. Headspace offer mental health support and education for young people 12-25 years through psychological intervention, education and programs. The site is also a great source of information about mental health issues for young people and their parents.

Access Headspace information about:


Self Harm




Parents and Carers

Eating Disorders 



​Additional Support Resources Hate Crimes Australia

Crime Prevention

In school Support

  • Accessibility to a Psychologist

We currently have 2 External Private Psychologist who attend the school and bulk bill through Medicare. Ask the School Guidance Officer for more information.  You will need a health care plan and referral through your Doctor.  Speak with your Doctor in regards to other external providers and choose the most appropriate practitioner to suit your needs and who you are happy/comfortable  to work with.

  • Mental Wellbeing Workshop

For anxiety, low self esteem, examination stress, motivation, public speaking and coping strategies

When: First break 11.10am -  Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday

Where:  CG01

Psychological Intervention with a Guidance Officer/Psychologist

Intervention Strategies:  Relaxation, breathing exercises, visualisation, reframing, goal setting and psychological role play

  •  School Guidance Officer

Can assist with intervention, liaise with external agencies, and monitor wellbeing

Gold Coast Drug Council

ACT for kids

Accoras You.nique

Federally funded social workers who can help support you and your family.

Child and Youth Mental Health Service

This Way Up


Access to online help for anxiety and depression.

Kids Help Line – 1800 55 1800

Lifeline -  

Lifeline offer online counselling from 8pm-4am daily  or call


Beyond Blue – 1300 22 4636

Screening tests,  psychological advice and resources

Raising awareness – anxiety, depression, and suicide

Black Dog 

Wellbeing support, advice, resources


You can also interact online.